Thursday, March 26, 2015

Not Your Ordinary Hiro

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've seen one movie more times in a short span than any other movie at any other time in my life. More than 50 people have come over to my apartment to see it and discuss it. Both it and its accompanying animated short took home Oscars. And it has become one of my favorite animated movies of all time. That movie is Big Hero 6.

I admit, when I first saw it, I had very few expectations. I knew I liked Bolt, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen, so I figured the odds were in my favor. I had seen a trailer or two, but not enough to tell me what the story was actually about. It's actually quite the mix: an action movie based on an obscure Marvel; a drama dealing with deep, personal issues; and part anime with a heavy Japanese influence. The setting is San Fransokyo, a futuristic fictional meld of - you guessed it - San Francisco and Tokyo. The main character, Hiro, is a robotics prodigy living under his potential. His older brother, Tadashi (a genius in his own right), encourages Hiro to do more with his intelligence. Tadashi introduces him to his college friends: GoGo, a girl obsessed with speed; Honey Lemon, chemical whiz; Wasabi, OCD plasma expert; and Fred, the zany school mascot. Determined to be accepted to study at the school, Hiro invents tech that could revolutionize society. But when tragedy strikes and his invention is stolen, Hiro retreats into a world of grief. Help comes from a thoroughly unexpected source: a medical robot Tadashi created named Baymax. Tadashi created him to heal the sick and injured; Hiro turns him into an armored battle machine for the sake of executing revenge on the man responsible for his brother's death and the theft of Hiro's invention. What follows I can't reveal much of for the sake of not spoiling the story, but Baymax and the four friends band together to help Hiro work through his pain and change his desire for revenge into a desire to help those in need.

As I watched, I was impressed by a couple aspects of the film specifically. One thing that really jumped out was the depth and ability with which the film handled some extremely serious subjects: the debilitating affects of grief and the destruction of revenge. Somehow, the movie managed to make me laugh without being corny and deliver truth without being preachy. For a movie that had no Biblical aspirations and leaves Christ out of the picture, there were some very Biblical themes: forgiveness, mercy, loyal friendship, and self-sacrificing love, to name a few. The moral center of the film is strong and the main characters are ethical. You can feel good rooting for them. Meanwhile, the villain is logical and understandable. You come to understand why he is who he is and why he does what he does. The icing on the cake is the production values. They are through the roof. The shots are gorgeous, the animation sharp, and the detail is incredible. The music supports the movie excellently. It doesn't stand alone as well as a score like How To Train Your Dragon, but it fits.

There are only a handful of movies I can see more than ten times and not be sick of them, but this is one such film. In my mind, it's entered the same tier as Monsters, Inc. and The Incredibles. It's that good. Where stunning visuals, a superb story, and a solid message unite, you find Big Hero 6.

Nate


No comments:

Post a Comment